In response to the pressing need for job creation and entrepreneurship in South Africa, Allan Gray Makers has announced the opening of applications for its free 8-month incubation programme. Aimed at empowering aspiring artisan entrepreneurs in the plumbing and electrical trades, the programme is a unique opportunity for individuals to gain the skills and support needed to kickstart their own businesses.
“Probably the biggest challenge for technically talented South African youth and young artisans is finding a helping hand on their journey to become successful business owners and entrepreneurs in their own right, especially in critical skills like plumbing and electrical trades,” says Seth Mulli, programme director at Allan Gray Makers.
“The StartUp Academy is empowering technically talented youth with the skills and exposure needed to embark on their entrepreneurial journey.”
Who can apply?
The Allan Gray Makers StartUp Academy welcomes applications from individuals who meet the following criteria:
- South African citizen or permanent resident
- N4 – N6 qualification
- Completed or eligible to take a trade test
- Age 18 to 35 (35 at the time of graduation, 18 at the time of application)
- Based in Gauteng, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal or Mpumalanga
- Desire to start your own business
- Working in the electrical or plumbing industry with a completed apprenticeship
What participants will gain
Successful applicants to the programme will benefit from:
- Training in entrepreneurial mindset development, new venture creation, business e-skills, and personal mastery, marketing and sales, business management, financial management, branding.
- Opportunities to work in teams and network with other businesses.
- Access to personal mentorship, business shadowing, industry-expert coaches, and business advisory.
- Access to markets with a focus on making your first sale.
- Graduates will have access to life-long support.
How to apply
Applications are now open, and interested individuals are encouraged to apply here or via WhatsApp: 066 579 7616
The deadline for applications is midnight on 23 February 2024.
Image credit: Freepik